Wednesday, January 28, 2015

a letter of apology to mohamed ibthihaal

(Author's note: If you haven't heard about the incident please have a look here)

Dear Mohamed Ibthihaal,

It is with great regret I inform you that we have failed you as a society. We're deeply saddened by the brutal incident and would like to point out the deepest disappointment in our own selves at the time of this heartbreaking murder. Please do not despair or think your death went unnoticed, because the nation collectively condemns, in the harshest of words, your inhumane death.

Ibthihaal. I'm sorry your picture is plastered on every newspaper and every news outlet today so that we can all feel good by feeling bad about our own negligence. Only through such sensationalisation are we able to keep our focus on a single event. Having said that, I'm sorry that we would soon forget you and your death would just be a number in the myriads of manslaughters in this nation.

I'm sorry, Ibthihaal, that we as a society do not concern ourselves with the wellbeing of others. It's not like we knew your mother was abusing you for the past 3 years. I'm sorry, but, as a society, we don't look at children born out of wedlock as part of the community. I'm sorry that we look at such children as a bad omen and would like to keep our own safe from you. As such, we chose to ignore you because you didn't really belong to our close-knit family in the island. I'm sorry that we punish children for the sins of their parents. I'm sorry that we see you for nothing less than the sinful spawn of two adulterers. On that note, I'm also sorry that we could not identify who your father was. I'm sorry we live in a system where only his confession would have confirmed him your father as four grown men didn't see him fornicate with your mother, whose word, by the way, holds no meaning in court.

Ibthihaal, you don't know me but I'm sorry, because even if we cared, we live in a system that does not allow preemptive action. I'm sorry we live in a society that's content with letting child abusers and pedophiles walk free because, one: it's not our child and two: we don't have evidence. We are sorry but please understand that we can't really take the words of a child against an adult, and in some cases, their blood relatives. Sometimes, even their own parents. I'm sorry you didn't grow up to be an adult, because if so, you would be able to have solace in the fact that there are many others like you who grew up bruised, battered, and molested. Because, by then, you would realize, and I am very embarrassed to say this, that you weren't the first child we failed.

I'm sorry that everyone of us will use your image and your story to further our agenda. I'm sorry that even though we will likely find people who were accomplices to your murder through negligence, we will not address the root cause of this issue. I'm sorry that none of the policy makers, the grassroots, or even taxpayers would find the need to address such issues during political debates, unless it has something to do with overthrowing the person in power. However, it is with great pleasure I inform you, that we will find a scapegoat for your death and we will punish all parties involved directly. Then, I'm afraid and I'm really sorry to say this, we will sweep this issue under the rug.

i'm sorry that even though we feel sad, we'll forget everything about you very soon

I'm sorry...I'm sorry you didn't grow up to enjoy life to the fullest. Please be rest assured that you did indeed have a wonderful future ahead of you such as education, sports, friends, and most importantly, a life. I'm sorry we failed in our duties but we hope you understand and forgive us because we had bigger issues at hand. One as young as you wouldn't understand the consequences of music shows, political rivalries, or the importance of promoting xenophobia even at the cost of overlooking the current cancers in our society. I'm sorry we were too busy swimming in our own pile of hypocrisy and I'm sorry the only solace our religious clerics could offer you is the dangers of fornication to a society.

Mohamed Ibthihaal, I sincerely hope that you accept our deepest apologies because your death would be in vain and we would do nothing besides angry/sad posts on social media or pass pictures of you around and, as I noted earlier, feel good by feeling bad about you.

I'm sorry.

Very Respectfully,

The Republic of Maldives

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe you are misinformed regarding the testimonies of children in cases of Child Abuse. Children's Testimonies are regarded as strong evidence in the courts of Maldives: FYI

useful.idiot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
useful.idiot said...

@Anonymous: I'm well aware of the system in place in regards to children. I'm just highlighting the problem with the whole system. My sources: people who worked on cases at gender ministry and in family protection units in the islands, lawyers from PG Office, and experience shared from victims. The problem is the whole system. I'm sorry if I offended you by saying courts.

Anonymous said...

As if writing a letter would make everything ok. You are writing a letter to make you "feel good"
Other people are posting his picture to make them "feel good"
Its just the same fricking thing!
Stop criticizing others way to grieve just because it doesn't match yours

useful.idiot said...

The letter is in essence a satirical piece of writing through which I tried to highlight the real problem. Yeah, we all grieve and mourn his untimely death. But mourn is all we Maldivians do. We always forget how things got there. By the way, you're right about one thing. I do feel good writing this. In fact, I feel ecstatic. Wanna know why? Cos through my bitching, I'm able to at least point to the issues that lead to such things. How many Ibthihaals must die before people like you would say mourning is not enough?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You are right. The question is how many “Ibthihaals” must be brutally murdered before the Majlis, Community and the Maldivian Society stand up to say "mourning" is not enough.
For both of you here, I understand the frustration, the helplessness. The people stood up not to feel "good" by expressing their grievances and anger. But because, that's the only way possible to express it.
Most of the “Ibthihaal” incidents are "silent" though it becomes "vocal" after every death. Even if someone reports of abuse or abusing, the system takes time, (months), to take it up in any real "form or sense" to prevent it. It takes ages for the Judiciary to give a verdict. Even if verdict is given, the government does not “render” the verdict in any form or style. Like the case of Najeeb’s murderers where there was no necessity for a second hearing, where the government has all the regulations, laws to execute these brutal murderers, yet, the President on every occasion say “he will execute when court procedures are done with”.
In a society where uncontrolled Sex (married or unmarried) is rampant, where the society does not heed any law or regulations from Allah or the Government when it comes to Sex, the obvious will happen.
Every responsible citizen has to stand up to condemn this vile act. Must stand together to find ways to take up preventive measures so that this will stop, even if it means to change the way of "free style life" we Maldivians live. We can check up which country in the world has the least number of murders, rapes. Find out which type of system they adopt to get this fantastic result. Ask yourself if you are ready to change to MAKE THE CHANGE. Thing is, without that change in yourself, nothing in this society will ever change.
I love this country and her people as much as any other Maldivian on this planet. It tears me apart anytime I see these brutal senseless killings. Yet, I have no power to go and kill the murderers or murderesses though I am physically or resourcefully capable, my faith does not empower me to kill like that.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com