Tuesday, March 17, 2009

bits and binaries: chain letters

It's been a while since I have been here, but hey, no one noticed I haven't updated in a while. I am in a rather sour mood today and so will be this post, so sue me. I was sitting at my laptop browsing through the Internet, my eye to the outside world beyond these great gray walls when I got one of those 'please forward' kind of emails. While I agree that it is a good thing to spread knowledge and such, I cannot figure out why I will be unlucky or why I would go to heaven if I forwarded an email. I mean, come on... if going to heaven is that easy, the 4000 people who go to school with me would be in heaven. It makes for a nice ad slogan though, 'Paradise - only a click a way' pretty catchy huh? I came up with it myself.
One of my favorite pieces of mail is about making a wish and then forwarding the email to some people within a certain time span. It says if I do not do so, I would be unlucky (ooh, there comes another email) in love and that if I forward the email, my true love will kiss me at midnight. Yeah right!!

These chain letters made me wonder, was it like this back in the day? Did our fathers and grand parents send chain letters for good luck? Maybe they sent pigeons. That's a load of shit. Ha! That works both ways. Well let me tell you, they did use chain communication!!!

Remember back in the day, when we see the moon for our Eids, they would light a big fire and the islands who see it will light another fire and so forth.

The only difference is that there was a legit use for that unlike today, when it's done just to go to heaven or to get true love. Let me tell you, if forwarding emails brought forth true love, I know quite some people who would have kids by now.

I think I heard some of our dhanna beykalun saying that it was forbidden to believe in horoscopes and such things to do with fate. In that case, forwarding an email cos you believe that it will bring you good luck is just damn too good to pass down as being hypocritical of the very religious sermons that you, Oh Great Wise ones, so daringly and knowingly preach. Adios...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

as jughead says even the medieval knights use chain mail...

Anonymous said...

back before there was email, these chain mails made the rounds via snail mail. man, that was fun. people got really scared and believed the terrible things that would happen to them if they didn't forward it to 10 other people

useful.idiot said...

@Anonymous 1: aaah.. Jughead.. how I miss thee

@Anonymous 2: this is news to me.. I never heard about that.. thanks for the info, man.

Iya said...

old news, my friend.

i consider chain mails as spam. makes me wonder why people do it. do they really believe that they are gonna get their true love? or that they are gonna die if they dont forward it?

useful.idiot said...

@Iya: makes me wonder too.. but apparantly people believe it I guess.. that explains all the chain mail I get..

luckyYy st@R said...

hehe drives me insane at tyms it jx wnt stop certain ppl will keep forwardin non stop mayb they r jobless or else they honestly believe it wd cm true whteva it is

useful.idiot said...

@Lucky Star: yup you said it there. I can withstand a little bit of forwarding some of the time. but too much is just too much.